This Ultimate Gourmet Grilled Cheese is loaded with herbed caramelized onions, gooey Gruyere and white cheddar cheeses, and is cooked in a savory rosemary butter!
Ultimate Gourmet Grilled Cheese
Write a review
- 8 slices good quality bread (I used thick cut Artisan bread)
- Mayonnaise, for spreading
- 12 oz Gruyere cheese, sliced thinly OR grated, at room temperature
- 6 oz White cheddar cheese, sliced thinly OR grated, at room temperature
- 4 thin slices Muenster cheese, at room temperature
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced, divided
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Add 1 1/2 Tbsp butter and olive oil to a skillet and heat over MED-LOW heat. Add diced onions, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and 1 tsp of fresh rosemary to the hot skillet and saute, stirring often, until onions are soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir brown sugar into the onions and cook another minute.
- Transfer onions to a plate.
- Spread one side of two pieces of bread with a little bit of mayonnaise.
- To the same skillet, add remaining butter and rosemary, and heat over MED heat. Swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet with the melted butter.
- Add both pieces of bread, mayonnaise side down, and cook until bread is golden brown and crunchy, about 2-3 minutes.
- As soon as you add the bread to the skillet, add a bit of cheese to the top of each piece of bread. Once it starts to melt a little, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the caramelized onions over the top of one of the pieces of bread.
- When the bread is good and golden brown, sandwich the pieces of bread together and cook on LOW until cheese is fully melted.
- Transfer to a plate, repeat with remaining slices of bread and ingredients.
- Slice and enjoy!
The Ultimate Cheese Sandwich https://theultimatecheesesandwich.com/